An angle grinder is one of the most powerful handheld tools available in our toolboxes. But if you are a new fish in this ocean, you might be confused about choosing the best size for an angle grinder. I can certainly tell you that- among the different sizes, 4-1/2 inch angle grinder has become the most useful and comfortable power tool among plumbers, constructors, carpenters, or anyone who wants to do some metal fabrication work own at home like cutting or polishing metals, removing paints, or rusts, carving woods, sanding, grinding, sharpening, and any other metal fabrications.
But you should choose the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinder if you want to get your work results perfect and professional touch. Though it is a difficult task to find out the best among the various types and brands of 4-1/2 inch angle grinders available on the market, you can find out your favorite depending on the work you are going to do and considering power source, RPM, anti-vibration features, switch, disc types and safety features.
Among various types and brands of angle grinders, we have sorted out the 10 quality 4-1/2 inch angle grinders. This buying guide will take you through different criteria on how to choose the best and how to use the angle grinder professionally and safely. So, let’s get started.
Objectives To Pick These Top 10 4-1/2 Inch Angle Grinders
Several brands and manufacturers make and develop 4-1/2 inch angle grinders of different types. However, as we have sorted out only 10 4-1/2 inch angle grinders, there must be some reasons behind it. There are some things especial in these products. So, let’s know about these 4-1/2 inch angle grinders which are the best in business.
Best 4 1/2 Angle Grinder Reviews Of 2022
1. BLACK+DECKER BDEG400 Angle Grinder Tool, 4-1/2-Inch, 6 Amp
This small electric angle grinder is ideal for sharpening, cutting, grinding, removing rust, and surface preparation. Its powerful 6 Amp motor can produce a no-load speed of 10,000 RPM for higher work performance.
This 4.51 pounds tool is designed with a metal gear case providing more durability and longer tool life. Its 3-Position side handle offers increased comfort with a stable grip and easy control in different angles and situations. You can use the convenient one-touch release switch to power down fast.
This tool allows mounting 4 ½” discs with a spindle size of 5/8″ – 11 “. This is with a 2-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. If you are searching for cheap angle grinders, this tool can be your right choice.
Features at a Glance
- The tool operates at 10,000 RPMs.
- Metal gear case offers more durability and longer tool life.
- 3-Position side handle for increased comfort and easy control in different angles and situations.
- Easy accessories change with a spindle bolt and catch.
- Narrow-body design for comfortable gripping.
- This tool is around 4.5 pounds.
- This tool allows mounting 4 ½” discs with a spindle size of 5/8″ – 11 “.
- 2-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
2. Bosch 1375A 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder
If you are looking for the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinder 2021, you will find Bosch 1375A 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder. This heavy-duty angle grinder is ideal for concrete contractors, metal fabricators, vehicle fabricators, and other professionals who need a compact grinder.
Its powerful 6 Amp motor with an extremely small field diameter can deliver a no-load speed of 11,000 RPMs. This tool is designed with Service Minder brushes to eliminate guesswork and to stop the grinder if any preventative maintenance is required. Well-designed grip and lock-on slide switch make this tool more comfortable and versatile.
This lightweight angle grinder is around 3.75 pounds easy to control. 5/8- inches to 11-inch spindle works with a wide array of sizes, mounting the most popular accessories. This product is designed with an epoxy coated and a sealed switch to prevent dust and debris for longer tool life.
Features at a Glance
- 6 Amp motor delivers a no-load speed of 11,000 RPMs for higher work performance.
- Ergonomically designed 2 position side auxiliary handle for maximum operator comfort.
- Bosch’s Service Minder Brush System eliminates guesswork and stops the tool if any preventative maintenance is required.
- 5/8 inches to 11-inch spindle works with a wide array of sizes, mounting the most popular accessories.
- This tool offers an epoxy-coated design to protect the tool from abrasive debris.
- The sealed switch prevents dust and debris from entering the switch mechanism.
3. DEWALT DWE402 Angle Grinder Tool, Paddle Switch 4-1/2-Inch, 11-Amp
If you are searching for the best-corded angle grinder for the toughest grinding and cutting a wide range of materials, DEWALT DWE402 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder Tool can be your right choice. This tool features powerful systems for maximizing work performances. It’s Next Generation 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 RPM motor delivers the best power.
Dust Ejection System provides durability and longer tool life by preventing damaging dust and debris particles. Oversized brushes provide 2 times brush life and large spiral bevel gear boosts for long transmission life. A newly designed side handle provides excellent ergonomics while oversized threading provides durability.
One-Touch Guard allows for 360-degree rotation of the guard with a single action. Another useful feature is Auto-off Brushes that shut the tool down if the brushes are needed to be replaced. This imported small angle grinder is available both in plastic and metal with a 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
Features at a Glance
- Next Generation 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 RPM motor delivers the best power.
- Dust Ejection System ejects damaging dust and debris particles providing durability.
- Oversized brushes provide 2 times brush life.
- Large spiral bevel gear for long transmission life.
- One-Touch Guard allows for 360-degree rotation of the guard with a single action.
- Quick-Change Wheel Release allows wheel removal without using a tool.
- The top-mounted and protected spindle lock button maximizes the depth of the cut.
- A newly designed side handle provides excellent ergonomics while oversized threading provides durability.
- Auto-off brushes shut the tool down if the brushes are needed to be replaced.
- 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
4. Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2″ Paddle Switch Cut-Off/Angle Grinder
This small angle grinder is designed for longer-lasting industrial performance. It’s powerful 7.5 AMP motor can produce a no-load speed of 11,000 RPMs for high output with a soft start for smooth start-ups.
Labyrinth construction seals and protects the motor and bearings from dust and debris providing longer tool life. The armature is sealed with Protective Zig-Zag varnish for preventing dust and debris for longer tool life.
This tool is designed with an extra-large paddle switch along with a lock-on/off for comfortable and continuous operation. This product features tool-free wheel guard adjustment providing easy clamping. The most demanding feature is that this grinder has an AC/DC switch for use with alternative power sources.
Features at a Glance
- Powerful 7.5 AMP motor delivers a no-load speed of 11,000 RPMs for high output.
- This tool is only 4.5 pounds for easy use and control.
- Small diameter barrel grip (only 2 to 1/2 inches) for added comfort.
- Labyrinth construction seals and protects the motor and bearings from dust and debris for longer tool life.
- The lock on/off feature offers continuous operation for more productivity.
- AC/DC switch allows using the tool with an alternative power source.
- The armature is sealed with Protective Zig-Zag varnish for preventing dust and debris for longer tool life.
- Extra-large paddle switch for comfortable operation.
- Thicker coil wires are wound more closely to reduce heat and energy loss.
- Metal gear housing with aluminum case provides durability and longer tool life.
5. Metabo HPT G12SR4 4-1/2-Inch Compact & Lightweight Angle Grinder
If you are searching for the best angle grinders for cutting stone as well as other metal fabrications, Metabo HPT G12SR4 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder can fulfill your demand. This powerful angle grinder has a 6.2 Amp motor that can produce around 10,000 RPMs for greater work performance.
Spindle lock offers quick and easy disc and accessory changes. This tool is designed with a left-mounted slide switch with a quick-off feature adding more safety. A removable, forward-canted side handle makes this tool comfortable for both right- and left-handed users. Its low-profile gear case lets the tool get into the tightest or hard-to-reach places.
This tool is only 4.0 lbs for greater control and maneuverability with less fatigue. New labyrinth design prevents dust and debris increasing durability and longer tool life. In addition to the tool, the pack contains a wheel guard, spanner wrench, side handle, a carrying case, and 5 pieces of abrasive center wheels with 5 years warranty.
Features at a Glance
- A 2 Amp motor with 980W can deliver around 10,000 RPMs.
- Spindle lock for quick and easy disc and accessory changes.
- Left-mounted slide switch with quick-off feature adds more safety.
- A removable, forward-canted side handle makes this tool comfortable for both right- and left-handed users.
- This tool is only 4.0 lbs for greater control and maneuverability with less fatigue.
- New labyrinth design for better dust and debris durability.
- A low-profile gear case lets the tool get into the tightest or hard-to-reach places.
- 5-year warranty.
6. CRAFTSMAN CMEG100 Small Angle Grinder Tool 4-1/2-Inch
This best budget angle grinder is specifically designed for individuals conducting DIY jobs around the house, not for the daily demands of a construction site. It’s powerful 6 Amp motor can produce 12,000 RPMs and doesn’t break the bank.
It’s been created as a brilliant starter option with all the necessary accessories, like a wrench, three-position auxiliary handle, a carbon brush, and one abrasive wheel. This tool has a spindle lock to facilitate easier disc changes.
The auxiliary handle is contoured over-molded and can be placed in three positions- on either side or on top. The guard of this tool can be adjusted without using a tool, just unlocking a lever and rotating the guard within seconds.
Features at a Glance
- 6 Amp motor can produce 12,000 RPMs and doesn’t break the bank.
- The tool-free guard makes for quick and easy adjustments.
- Spindle lock for quick and easy wheel changes.
- 3-position handle allows for control in different applications.
- Contoured over-molded handle for added comfort.
- Compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System.
- Hook and accessories are sold separately.
- 3-Year Limited Warranty.
7. MILWAUKEE’S 2680-20 M18 18V Lithium-Ion 4 1/2 Inch Cordless Grinder
When you want to get the best 4-1/2 inch cordless angle grinder, MILWAUKEE’S 2680-20 M18 18V Lithium-Ion 4 1/2 Inch Cordless Grinder tool would be your favorite selection. This highest quality tool is ideal to cut through metals, PVC pipe, sharpen tools, or other metal fabrications.
Its powerful motor can drive the wheel up to 10,000 RPMs for maximizing higher work performance. The auxiliary handle is designed with rubber-textured for more comfort with maximum control and can be placed in 3-positions. This tool is made of the user-preferred paddle switch for comfort and ease of use when operating in various positions.
The paddle-styled power switch makes activation possible even when you’re wearing thick work gloves. Redlink Intelligence prevents wearing the motor down. L-shape intake vents protect the cut-off/grinder by keeping harmful debris from entering the tool and damaging internal components. This tool comes with a bare tool, battery, charger, or case that is not included. You need to buy them separately.
Features at a Glance
- 4-pole motor delivers maximum power up to 10,000 ROMs when cutting or grinding.
- Rubber-textured auxiliary handle for more comfort with maximum control.
- Overload protection prevents damage to the tool and battery in abusive situations.
- User-preferred paddle switch for comfort and ease of use when operating in various positions.
- The paddle-styled power switch makes activation very easy in different situations.
- L-shape vents keep debris from entering the tool and damaging internal components.
- A tool-free, burst-resistant guard allows for quick and easy guard adjustments.
- The tool only (battery and charger are not included).
8. PORTER-CABLE PCEG011 Angle Grinder Tool, 4-1/2-Inch, 6-Amp
This more powerful tool is the best angle grinder for welding along with different metal fabrications. Its powerful 6 Amp durable motor can deliver 12,000 RPMs for fast grinding and cutting.
The cast metal gearcase provides Jobsite durability and longer tool life. This tool is designed with a 3-position auxiliary handle for more comfort with maximum control.
Tool-free guard change allows for fast and easy guard removal, and the integrated spindle lock allows for single wrench wheel changes. This tool is featured with a soft start for smoother starts-up and a no-volt switch prevents accidental restarts following a power disruption.
Features at a Glance
- 6 AMP motors can produce 12,000 RPMs.
- Multiple handle positions of the angle grinder: right, left, top.
- Integrated spindle lock for fast and easy wheel changes.
- Tool-free guard change for easy repositioning.
- Soft start for a smoother start-up.
- A no-volt switch prevents accidental restarts following a power disruption.
- 3 Year Limited Warranty, 1 Year Free Service Contract, 90 Day Money Back Guarantee.
9. Ryobi P423 18V One+ Brushless 4-1/2″ 10,400 RPM Grinder and Metal Cutter
This cordless angle grinder is ideal for plumbing, cutting metal down to size for a garage, or other home improvement project. Its powerful motor can drive the wheel up to a no-load speed of 10,400 RPMs.
Easy accessories changes with the inclusion of an onboard spanner wrench which is stored on the grinder, so you don’t have to worry about losing it when you’re switching discs out for multiple applications. This tool is designed with a variety of features for optimal control.
An adjustable side-mounted handle switches between 3 positions for maximum leverage of work. The over-mold grip zone lets you maintain a tight hold, even in slippery conditions. An adjustable guard allows you to work from the ground or on a ceiling without too much exposure to sparks. You can get this product at $113.45 which is the best price for a Ryobi 4-1/2″angle grinder.
Features at a Glance
- A powerful motor can drive the wheel up to a no-load speed of 10,400 RPMs.
- The provided spanner wrench is stored on the grinder, so you don’t have to worry about losing it when you’re switching discs out for multiple applications.
- The 3-position side handle allows more comfort and versatility.
- A rubber over-mold covering the grip keeps up the friction between the tool and your hand.
- Tool-free guard allows you to adjust the depth or angle of your cuts to suit different materials, you can do so with the push of a button.
10. DEWALT DCG416B FLEXVOLT ADVANTAGE 20V MAX Angle Grinder, Paddle Switch, 4-1/2-Inch to 5-Inch
If you are searching for the best 4-1/2″/5″ cordless angle grinder, DEWALT DCG416B FLEXVOLT ADVANTAGE 20V MAX 4-1/2-5 Inch Angle Grinder will fulfill your demands. The brushless motor can deliver up to a no-load speed of 9,000 RPMs. This tool has up to 54% more power when paired with FLEXVOLT batteries.
Kickback Brake engages with maximum force to quickly stop the wheel and shut off the grinder when a bind-up occurs. E-CLUTCH shuts down the motor in under a tenth of a second when there is a pinch or stall.
E-Switch Protection requires the trigger switch to be cycled (turned off and on) in the event of a power outage or other unexpected shutdowns to restart. Chip pocket accepts Tool Connect Chip connected with Tool Connect Site Manager app for easy asset management on the Jobsite. The battery and charger are sold separately.
Features at a Glance
- The brushless motor can deliver up to a no-load speed of 9,000 RPMs.
- The tool gets up to 54% more power when paired with FLEXVOLT batteries.
- Kickback Brake engages with maximum force to quickly stop the wheel and shut off the grinder when a bind-up occurs.
- E-CLUTCH shuts down the motor in under a tenth of a second when there is a pinch or stall.
- Compatible with all DEWALT 20V MAX* and FLEXVOLT Batteries.
- E-Switch Protection requires the trigger switch to be cycled (turned off and on) in the event of a power outage or other unexpected shutdowns to restart.
- Chip pocket accepts Tool Connect Chip connected with Tool Connect Site Manager app for easy asset management on the Jobsite.
Which Size Angle Grinder Is Best?
There are 5 sizes of angle grinder available in the market- 4½ inch – 115mm; 5 inch – 125mm; 6 inch – 150mm; 7 inch – 180mm; 9 inch – 230mm. Among them, 4½ inch(115mm) is the best size to use because this small size angle grinder is easy to handle and can be used in different places where the larger grinders are unable to reach.
4½ inch angle grinders are best for all kinds of home projects, cutting, grinding, removal, or other metal fabrication work. But for industrial purposes where you need to work on a large surface area or to do heavy work, you can use the larger angle grinders up to 9 inches.
Criteria When Buying the Best 4 1/2 Angle Grinder
We all want to get the best thing when we need to buy something. There are some issues that we should consider when buying the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinder. Let’s know them.
The motor is the main part of a grinder which is the basis for the work performed. The power of a motor is measured by amperage. Typically, an angle grinder comes with an amperage of 6Amp to 15Amp. The higher the amperage, the more aggressive a grinder.
Corded or Cordless
In terms of portability, cordless grinders are preferable to corded angle grinders. They are perfect light projects.
But a cordless grinder is heavier than a corded grinder as the cordless grinder is powered by an included battery and for its additional weight, this kind of grinder can’t manage high output. If you need higher power output, you are recommended to get a corded angle grinder.
Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) is an important fact when choosing the best angle grinder. Higher RPMs generate greater speed. It is imperative to check the maximum RPM of the wheel before inserting it into a grinder.
The wheel might be damaged if you use a wheel with lower RPM than the grinder. As a rule of thumb, small angle grinders come with higher RPMs of up 11,000 to 12,000 RPM while larger models provide 6,000 to 9,000 RPM. Variable speed options and soft-start features also allow for use with lower RPMs, e.g. < 3,000 RPM.
Variable or Fixed Speed
Fixed speed angle grinders don’t allow to change the speed limit. But variable speed angle grinders allow controlling the RPMs for ease and comfortable work. This kind of grinder is preferable to polishing sensitive metals or surfaces.
There are different kinds of discs including cutting discs, flap discs, grinding discs, and wire discs. Cutting discs are the thinnest of all discs and they are good for cutting metals. Grinding discs are usually 5mm or thicker and are used for clearing or smoothening rough surfaces.
Flap discs are coated with sandpaper and are used for creating smoother surfaces. Wire discs are used for polishing metals or removing paints. You need to choose the right type of disc depending on the work you’re going to do.
When you buy a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder for DIY jobs, you should be considering which maximum size you might need in the next coming years. Because the disc size is linked to the grinder’s specification.
Spindle / Arbor Size
A spindle is the shaft of an angle grinder on which the disc or wheel is mounted indicating which kind of wheels or discs can be used in the grinder. The standard spindle size for the small 4-1/2 inch angle grinder is 3/8″-24 ( which means:3/8 inches of diameter with 24 threads per inch).
Ease of Changing the Disc
The way to change the disc is very important. You should select the grinder which has a Quick-Change-Wheel-Release feature that allows you to change the wheel easily without using a tool.
The best angle grinder offers some safety features for the users including anti-kickback, vibration control, overload capacity, auto brush-off, and so on.
Type of Switch
There are two types of switch-Paddle switches and Slide up switches. Slide-up switches are easier to use.
Price and Warranties
When you chose an angle grinder to buy, you should consider the price tag and warranties given by the manufacturer.
Safety Considerations When Using an Angle Grinder
Using an angle grinder can be very dangerous if the tool is operated unsafely and improperly. The sparks can harm the users, an operator could lose grip, or a disc can break. So, we should know how to use an angle grinder safely. Please do follow some safety considerations when using an angle grinder. Let’s know them.
- Always wear protective gear before working with an angle grinder, heavy-duty gloves, protective glasses, earplugs, masks, and working overalls.
- If you are a newcomer, try to follow the manufacturer’s instructions thoroughly.
- Make sure that the tool is unplugged when inserting or changing the wheels.
- Use the safety guard.
- Secure the workpiece with the workbench.
- Make sure the grinder isn’t jammed to keep away from the kickback.
- Hold the handle maintaining a firm grip with both hands.
- Let the new blade run for one minute to make sure the blade isn’t defective.
- Constant pressure on the same area can heat the blade and damage it. Use water to cool down the blade between strokes.
- Keep the bystanders away from the workplace.
- Keep sparks away from flammable substances.
- Store angle grinders out of children’s reach.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who makes the best 4 2/1 angle grinder?
A: Overall, DeWalt makes the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinders. Bosch and Black+Decker are also the manufacturers of the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinders.
Q: What is the best 4-1/2 inch angle grinder?
A: Out of ratings, BLACK+DECKER BDEG400 Angle Grinder Tool is the best 4-1/2-inch angle grinder at this time. You can also select Bosch 1375A 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder or DEWALT DWE402 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder Tool.
Q: How deep can a 4.5-inch angle grinder cut?
A: A 4-1/2 inch angle grinder can cut 4 inches deep.
Q: Can I use a 4″ blade on a 4.5″ angle grinder?
A: You cannot use a 4″ blade on a 4.5″ grinder or vice versa because the hole in the center of the disc is a different diameter.
Q: Can I use a bigger disc on the angle grinder?
A: Using a bigger disc on an angle grinder will increase the edge speed excessively to at least 120 m/s (430 km).
Through this buying guide, we try to discuss some of the best 4-1/2 inch grinders in the market. The ten angle grinders that we have reviewed are proven performers and are guaranteed to serve you well in all your welding and metal fabricating activities.
When you buy a new best 4-1/2 inch angle grinder, you should pay concern about the power source, RPMs, motor capability, safety features, disc size, and switch type.
If you can use an angle grinder properly maintaining safety precautions, you can do a wide range of work with ease and comfort. Also, if you choose to work with a cordless grinder way from the workshop, remember always to carry an extra set of batteries.