When you are thinking of an Angle Grinder, which common use comes to your mind? Cutting or polishing-right? But there are also many undiscovered uses of an Angle Grinder. If you are skillful and know how to use Angle Grinder safely, you can save a lot of money and time. And all of these useful uses you will find in this article step by step.
Apart from cutting or polishing metal, you can also use Angle Grinder for cutting tiles, cleaning, sanding, carving wood, removing paint or rust, grinding, and so on.
But there are always newbies who don’t know what is an angle grinder. Here is a quick summary: an angle grinder is one of the most versatile electric-powered tools with a detachable grinding disc and is controlled by either a trigger, paddle, or switch. It can be both electric-powered or battery-operated. Both types of grinders are handy if you buy from the top brands.
- Types of Angle Grinder Blades
- How To Use An Angle Grinder [Step by Step]
- How To Use Angle Grinder Safely
- How To Use An Angle Grinder on Concrete
- How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Metal
- How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Tile
- How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Wood
- How To Use An Angle Grinder for Sanding
- How To Use An Angle Grinder To Remove Paint
- Final Words
Types of Angle Grinder Blades
There are two types of grinding blades:
Dry cutting blades can be used with or without water, but you must use the wet cutting blade with water. In fact, using water with Angle Grinder is not easy since wet-cutting Angle Grinders are not available in the local market. This is why angle grinder cutting direction is very important for better output.
You should adjust the perfect RPM depending on the objects you’re cutting and apply pressure to the right way. Use the Angle Grinder straightly if you want to cut something using the side of the blade. You ought to use the Angle Grinder at 90-degree if you want to use the front of the blade (for sanding, removing paint or rust, carving wood, and more).
Thus, you can control the thrust and you won’t worry about the machine pulling or grabbing at you. The last but not the least important thing is your safety. Before using Angle Grinder, you should wear protective gear- gloves, helmet, protective glasses and work overall so that you won’t worry about being injured.
How To Use An Angle Grinder [Step by Step]
Using an angle grinder can be harmful to you if it is used improperly. So, you are suggested to respect the safest cutting directions while using the Angle Grinder. Now you will learn how to use an Angle Grinder step by step in detail.
Step -1: Assembling The Angle Grinder
Make sure the device is unplugged before assembling the Angle Grinder. For small construction jobs use a lightweight and easy-to-handle 125-millimeter Angle Grinder. Choose wheels according to your job purpose.
You will find the information printed on the surface of the disc, just follow it to place the wheel. After that, lock the nut and block the motor shaft. It is imperative to use a wheel guard to avoid injuries.
Step-2: Protect Yourself and Your Surroundings
Put on heavy-duty gloves, protective glasses, earplugs, a mask, a helmet, and working overalls for your safety. Make sure that there are no flammable products around the workplace.
Step-3: Use the Angle Grinder
Settle the working material with the workbench using a vise. Plugin the Angle Grinder and hold it firmly with both hands and let the wheel spin for 30 seconds. Try to cut slowly with back-and-forth movement along to the guideline.
There will be burrs remaining and they need to debug for a smooth surface. For this use a thick grinding wheel. When the job is finished, turn off the grinder and let the wheel stops spinning. Then unplug the device.
How To Use Angle Grinder Safely
Your angle grinder can be one of the most powerful and versatile tools in your toolbox if you know how to use Angle Grinder safely. Follow these precautions for using the grinder safely:
- Wear PPE- protective glasses, gloves, mask, helmet, earplug, and working overalls.
- Use the safety guard.
- Secure the workpiece with the workbench.
- Make sure the grinder isn’t jammed to keep away from the kickback
- Hold the handle maintaining a firm grip with both hands.
- Let the new blade run for one minute to make sure the blade isn’t defective.
- Constant pressure on the same area can heat the blade and damage it. Use water to cool down the blade between strokes.
- Unplug the grinder while changing the grinding blades.
- Keep the bystanders away from the workplace.
- Keep sparks away from flammable substances.
- Store angle grinders out of children’s reach.
How To Use An Angle Grinder on Concrete
You can use Angle Grinder for cutting concrete floors, walls, slabs, and pavers. Although there are various concrete cutting saws available on the market, Angle Grinder can be the most dependable machine for cutting concrete, marble, or stone.
Among the variety of concrete cutting grinders, you can choose DEWALT Angle Grinder Tool, Paddle Switch, 4-1/2-Inch, 11-Amp (DWE402) for best concrete grinding.
Here are some tips and tricks for cutting concrete using an angle grinder:
- Prepare the working area for your cutting work and put on PPE.
- Mark the cutting line with a pencil or chisel.
- Choose the right-Angle Grinder Diamond Blade for your work.
- Keep both hands on the grinder and hold it firmly.
- Wait 30 seconds for the blade to reach its full speed.
- Apply gentle pressure along the marked line. Do it several times until the cut is done.
- Try scoring your concrete before completing your task to decrease the amount of debris.
How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Metal
You can use Angle Grinder for not only cutting metal but also for removing rust or paint from metal or deburring, and so on.
Although there are a number of metal cutting grinding wheels available in the market, amongst them DEWALT Cutting Wheel, General Purpose Metal Cutting, a 4-1/2-inch angle grinder is the best grinding wheel to cut metal. Here are some tips on how to use an Angle Grinder to cut metal:
- As the blades rotate so quickly, sparks may fly off at you. Ensure your safety by putting on protective glasses, earplugs, heavy-duty working overalls, and gloves.
- Secure the workpiece with the working bench to ensure the piece will not drop or fall during working.
- Use the blade at 90° to the workpiece to ensure the guard is positioned between you and the workpiece.
- Do not apply too much pressure to reduce friction, just let the blade do the work.
How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Tile
Here are some tips to cut tiles with an Angle Grinder:
- Use a diamond blade made of porcelain.
- During cutting there will be dust around you. So, put on a dust mask along with goggles, gloves, earplugs, and working overalls.
- Secure the tiles with the workbench.
- Cover the cutting area with masking tape to prevent and deflect the chips from coming straight at you. If the masking type blocks your view, mark the cutting line with a permanent marker beforehand.
- Hold the grinder horizontally along to the mark if you want an angle cut. And for straight cuts, it is better to hold the tool vertically and push directly into the tiles.
- Tilt the Angle Grinder at 30-degree along the guideline to score a circle on the tiles.
How To Use An Angle Grinder To Cut Wood
You can use an angle grinder to cut wood around your house or workshop. Here are some tips on how you can use the machine to cut wood:
- Make sure you pick the correct blade for wood to get fine and clean cuts.
- Clamp the piece of wood you’re working on.
- Apply some light pressure, too much pressure can affect the quality of the cut.
- If there is a knot in the wood, don’t force the cutting process, just let the blade does its job!
- With a wood carving disc equipped with your Angle Grinder, you can sculpt wooden materials like a master craftsman.
How To Use An Angle Grinder for Sanding
If you want to sand wood, you can use your angle grinder as a sander using Flap Discs. Follow these tips for using the Angle Grinder for sanding:
- Use a 120-grit flap disc for your job.
- Use the grinder at a 10-15 degree angle over the rough surface of the wood.
- Stroke gently till the smoother finish.
How To Use An Angle Grinder To Remove Paint
If you want to remove paint or unwanted layers from the surfaces, you can easily use an Angle Grinder with Blaze Rapid Strip providing no damage to the underlying surface. Follow these steps to remove paint quickly from the surface:
- Make sure you use PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, ear protectors, a dust mask, and working overalls.
- Fix the Blaze Rapid Strip disc to the grinder.
- Use the disc at a 10-15° angle to remove coatings and corrosion.
- If you want to paint the metal after sanding, just wash it down with warm, soapy water first and dry it with a cloth.
If you can use the Angle grinders properly abiding by all precautions and cutting guides, they will be the most versatile handheld tools that can grind or cut metals, tiles, marvels, and concerts, plus they can sand wood, polish, and sharpen or smooth the surface. Want to learn more about Angle Grinder? This blog is the best place for you. Because Angle Grinder Hub talks all about the angle grinder.